The Stebbins Ancestry
History of the Stebbins Name The STEBBING family is of great antiquity in England; the oldest branch resided in Yorkshire and is descended from Sir Thomas STEBBING, baronet. The family name was, and still is in England, STEBBING. The termination ” ing” in the name may be of Saxon origin, and the name may refer to a field or meadow with stubs in it. There are various forms which the family name took: in the town records of Northampton we can find STEBIN, STEBBING, and especially STEBBINS. In Canada the name was given as STEBEN or STEBENNE. All refer to the same family.
|818 B.C.||Hadding King of Denmark (m) Princess Ragnhild (d) King of the Nitherians had Princess Ulfhild who (m) Scot and founded the Scottish name and had Frode King of Denmark and had Princess Swanhwid who married Regner the King of Sweden.||Note: The legendary kings of Denmark are the predecessors of Gorm are often confusing and contradictory. Some say half history and half legend.|
|631 B.C.||Regner the King of Sweden had|
|527 B.C.||Hothbrod King of Sweden had|
|Hother King of Sweden and Denmark had|
|486 B.C||C Roric Slyngband (swing bracelet) King of Denmark had||The dates could be quite far off here. Other records show Roric was born around 700 B.C.|
|431 B.C||Wiglek King of Denmark had|
|356 B.C||Wermund King of Denmark had|
|295 B.C.||Uffe King of Denmark had|
|265 B.C||Danus II King of Denmark had|
|Hugleik King of Denmark had|
|176 B.C.||Frode II King of Denmark had|
|146 B.C.||Danus III King of Denmark had|
|77 B.C.||Fridleif I King of Denmark had|
|37 B.C.||Frode III King of Denmark had|
|21 A.D||Fridleif II King of Denmark had|
|33 A.D.||Frode IV King of Denmark had|
|79 A.D.||Ingild King of Denmark had|
|102 A.D.||Olaf I King of Denmark had Harold and Frode|
|112 A.D.||Harold I King of Denmark was killed by Frode his brother but not before he had Harald and Halfdan||Note: Frode V was king of Denmark until burned to death by nephews Harald and Halfdan – for revenge and/or the throne?|
|131 A.D||Halfdan II – King of Denmark and Sweden had||Halfdan II preferred roving about and turned the throne over to his brother Harald II. Harald II was killed by Frode IV’s son and Halfdan took the throne back.|
|141 A.D.||Asmund – King of Norway had|
|Ragnald King of Norway and Denmark had Princes Drota but was overthrown in Zealand, Denmark by Siwald whose son, Sigar reigned after him til 155 A.D Princes Drota Married Borgar a Champion and had|
|201 A.D.||Halfdan King of Denmark (m) Princess Gurid had|
|261 A.D||Ivar Vidfadme King of Denmark had grandson Harald Hyldetland and Grandaughter who (m) Siward, King of Norway and had||Ivar created mighty Danish Kingdom around the province of Skaane probably with the town of Lund as capitol. Ivar had grandson Harald Hyldetland 261 A.D who rebuilt the Kingdom|
|~ 327 A.D.||Olaf King of Denmark had|
|Olaf II King of Denmark had|
|Omund, King of Denmark had|
|367 A.D.?||Siward King of Denmark had|
|Jarmerik King of Denmark had|
|Broder King of Denmark had|
|Siwald King of Denmark had||Some say Siwald was son of Yngwin (“Yngve”) and that Siwald had a son Sigar who took the throne after him.|
|Snio King of Denmark had|
|633 A.D||Bjorn [Biorno] King of Denmark had||Several kings ruled before Bjorn took the throne including Hengest who was presumably king of the Jutes (Danes from Jutland) who in 449 landed on the shores of England and established the Jute Kingdom of Kent in England. This kingdom eventually included Kent, Essex, Middlesex sussex, London, Surrey, and the Isle of Wight|
|658 A.D||Baldrus of Denmark|
|683 A.D||Harald V. King of Denmark had||Some records show Harald V as son of Baldrus of Denmark.|
|773 A.D.||Gorm I. [Gorm of Jutland] King of Denmark had||Some records show that Gorm of Jutland was father of Gotricus, King of Denmark|
|Sigfred King of Denmark had|
|Gudfred King of Denmark had||Olaf King of Denmark died in 810 so Gudfred’s Nephew Hemming became King . Gudfred’s next son Hardeknud was in line to become king.|
|814 A.D.||Hardeknud King of Denmark b. Abt 0814 in Hord, Jutland, Denmark had|
|840 A.D.||Gorm III “The Old” Hardeknudsson King of Denmark b. 840 (m) Princess Thyra and had||Princess Thyra (Daughter of Ethelred King of England?) also called Thyre “Danebod” (of Jutland) Haroldsdatter Queen of Denmark (She was born Abt 0844 Jutland, Denmark died Abt 0935 Jellinge, Vejle, Denmark buried Jellinghojene, Jellinge, Vejle, Denmark) they were married Abt 897
Gorm is credited with creating one of the more significant burial mounds at Jelling as well as the oldest of the Jelling Stones for Thyra , calling her tanmarkar but (“Denmark’s Salvation” or “Denmark’s Adornment”). Gorm was the father of three sons, Toke, Knut and Harald, later King Harald Bluetooth.
His wife, Thyra, is credited with the completion of the Danevirke, a wall between Denmark’s southern border and its unfriendly Saxon neighbors to the south. The wall was not new, but it was expanded with a ditch and earthen foundation topped by a timber stockade above it. The Danevirke ran between the Schlei and the Treene river, across what is now Schleswig.
|910 A.D||Harald King of Denmark aka Blaatand (blue tooth) b. 910 and (m) Queen Gyrithe (Cyrid) Olafsdotter, and then had Sweyn Forkbeard 960, Tyra of Denmark, Gunhilde, Haakon 961||Harald Blaatand is said to have reigned as king from 958 – 986
|945||Herbastus (Herfast) de Crepon, b. about 945 prince of Denmark who m Cyrid, Queen of Sweden had
Gunnora (Gunhilda) De (936-~1029)
Others say had
Unknown de Contances; Gunnor, duchess of Normandy; Sainsfrida / Seinfrie de Crépon; Wevia de Crépon, wife of Thorold de Pont-Audemer; Herfast of Crepon and 4 others
|Harald [VIII?] is said to have invaded Normandy and defeated and captured Louis IV of France at the battle of Dives in 945 and forced Richard to recognize Richard I as duke of Normandy. Richard I married Harald’s Daughter, Princess Gunor (b. 936).
Gunor Princess of Denmark, Married Richard I, Duke of Normandy and had Richard the 2nd, who had Richard 3rd, who had Lady Alice of Normandy had Ralph, Earl of Chester (m) Maude d’ Auveranche (see above) had Randal Earl of Chester had Randal Earl of Chester, had Hugh Earl of Chester had Lady Agnes de Chester who married back into the Stebbins line when she married William de Ferrers 6th Earl of Derby.
Herbastus’ Brother Sweyn, became King of Denmark. Sweyn had Princess Estrith who w/Robert Duke of Normandy had Lady Margret of Normandy who w/RIchard goz d’ Auveranche had Lady Maude d’ Auveranche who married back into the Stebbins line when she married Ralph Earl of Chester.
|about 975||Herfast, Prince of Denmark b about 975 (some say 955) invaded Normandy with Richard settled in Normandy France and had||Also called Herfast de Crépon . Note that his sister was Duchess of Normandy, the wife of Richard I of Normandy.
By an unknown wife, Herfast was the father of Osbern, the steward under two of the dukes of Normandy, and of Ranulf, known from ducal charters. Herfast died before 22 August 1026 or 1027.
Some say Engenulf de Ferriers b. Abt. 950 was father of Lord, Vaugelin but he’d have been 60 years old at that point.
|1010||Lord Vaugelin (Walcheline) de Feriers born about 1010 died 1089? Walkelin was made 1st Lord of Ferrers-St.Hilaire (now France) Acceded: Chambrais, Normandy Interred: Tutbury (some say burried at Haute-Normandie)
Married Lady Mahaut de Durbury and had
|“Ferrer” is Norman French and means “to bind with iron” or ” to shoe a horse”. Ferrières in Normandy, the hometown of the de Ferrers family, was an important centre for ironwork. The Ferrers coat of arms shows six black horseshoes on a silver background. They were descended from Henry de Ferrers, 1st Earl of Ferrières, Lord of Longueville, Normandy, and a Domesday Commissioner; he built Tutbury Castle and Duffield Castle and had large holdings in Derbyshire as well as 17 other counties.|
|1036 A.D.||Henry de Ferrers (Sire de Ferriéres) born about 1036 Ferrieres, Normandy, France died 1088 Castle Tutbury, Staffordshire, England buried Castle Tutbury, Staffordshire, England (m) Lady Berta (Bertha?) Countess of Surrey (born about 1040 Gostenois, Normandy, France died Darley, Derbyshire, England) They married about 1061 Normandy, France and had Robert de Ferrers||Henry went with William the Conqueror to England in 1066 and settled in England. The estate of Stebbings was given to Henry by William the Conqueror. Henry was commissioned by King William to make the great survey of the realm. Henry held 210 lordships (among the best in England)
King WILLIAM I (The Conqueror) 1066- 1087
Another source states:
The town of Stebbins England became the ancestral home after William the Conquerer (also a Stebbins Ancestor) conquered England in 1066 A.D. and established Henry de Ferrers, son of Walkelin at Stebbing.
One more source states: Henry de Ferriers, son of Walcheline de Feriers, obtained from William the Conqueror, a grant of Tutbury Castle, Stafford, with extensive possessions in other shires, of which one hundred and fourteen manors were in Derbyshire. He must have been of considerable rank, not only from those enormous grants, but from the circumstances of his being one of the commissioners appointed by King William to make the Grand Survey, the Domesday Record, of the kingdom. He was the founder of the priory of Tutbury, which he liberally endowed.
|1062||Robert de Ferrers 1st Earl of Derby born about 1062 Derbyshire, England (christened Charterley, Staffordshire, England) and died 1139 (m) Lady Hawise de Vitre (she was born about 1069 Vitre, Brittany, France) They were married about 1087 in Brittany, France and had||Robert served at the head of the Derbyshire men in King Stephens victory over King David of Scotland, was named by King Stephen Earl of Derby. Also Lord of Tutbury, Commander at Battle of the Standard in 1138, having contributed greatly to King Stephen’s victory over King David of Scotland, was created by that monarch Earl of Derby 1138. He married Hawise deVitre.
Robert de Ferrers, 2nd Earl of Ferrières (1062-1139) was created Earl of Derby by King Stephen in 1138 for his valiant conduct at the Battle of Northallerton. He was married to Hawise de Vitre and died in 1139
|Robert deFerriers II, Earl of Derby, Earl of Ferrieres, He married Margaret Peveril, (daughter of William Peveril, Lord of Nottingham. Died: 1139) This Robert died before 1160, but before that they had||Another source says: Robert de Ferrers II 2nd Earl of Derby (1118-1162) (m) Lady Margaret Peverel (of William the Conquerer King of England) Margaret Peverel was born Abt 1114 Of, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England. They married Abt 1135 Robert Acceded: 1139 Died: BEF 1160 Interred: Merevale Abbey|
|William de Ferrers 3rd Earl of Derby (m) Lady Sibilla de Braose (Sybil de Braose ) and had:||Succeeded and had many honors added: became a Crusader 1190, 3rd Earl of Derby, Earl of Ferriers, 1167, died in 1190 at Acre. Other reports say he died after 31 December 1189 Seige of Acre, Jerusalem, Palestine buried before 21 October 1190 Normandy, France William Accompanied King Richard the Lion Hearted to the Holy Land in the 3rd Crusade where he lost his life at the seige of Acre during June and July of 1191. Other reports say he died 21 October 1190 Seige of Acre, Jerusalem, Palestine buried Normandy, France William (Robert) de Ferrers 4th Earl of Derby (1136-1190) Derby, Derbyshire, England Was arbitrator between the Kings of Castile and navarre 1190; took the Cross 1187, became a Crusader 1190, married Sybilla Breckwork, daughter of Lord Breckwork. He died before Acre 1190.
Other reports say: William married Sibyl deBraiose. (she was born about 1157 Bramber, Sussex, England and she died after 05 February 1227/28 England her father was William, Lord of Bramber De Braiose) They were married about 1173/74? In Sussex, England.
|William de Ferrers 4th Earl of Derby b. 1162 Ferrers, Derbyshire, England died 22 September 1247 (m) Agnes de Keveliok, (some say Lady Agnes Meschines de Chester) daughter of the Earl of Chester and had||Other reports say of Agnes: 1192 – Agnes, Lady of Chartley De Keveliock – daughter of Hugh, 6th Earl of Chester De Keveliock.Interesting that Lady Agnes Meschines Chester of King Swen’s lineage and King Alfred the Great’s lineage and Lady Godiva as well.|
|William de Ferrers III 5th Earl or Derby, Constable of Bolsover Castle, Acceded: 1247 Died: 24 MAR 1254, Evington, Leicester Interred: 31 MAR 1254, Merevale Abbey (m) 1219 – Sibyl Marshall born 1209 (some say 1204) Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, Wales christened 1209 St. David’s, Pembrokeshire, Wales – she died 27 April 1245 they were married before 14 May 1219 Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, Wales , then Married second Margaret De Quency [Quincy].(-1280) In 1239, they had
|It is also recorded that Alfred the Great King of England (m) Lady Ethelbirth, had Princes Ethelfleda who (m) Ethelred Earl of Mercia and had Lady Elfwina who (m) Edulf of Devon and had Leofwine, Earl of Marcia who (m) Lady Alward of Anglia and had Leofric the Great, Earl of Mercia who (m) Lady Godiva ov Coventry Town, who when wearing no clothes rode a horse through the streets protesting the condition of the people (the story states that Leofric ordered all inside while allowing her protest, threatening to kill any who looked). Together, they had Algar[ Aelfga] Earl of Mercia rwho (m) Lady Alversa [Aelfgifu?] and had Edwin, the Last Earl of Mercia, killed in Battle in 1071, but was the father of Lady Lucia who (m) Randle de Meschines, first Earl of Chester and had Randle, Earl of Chester who (m) Lady Bertred de Evereaux, and had Lady Agnes Meschines de CHester who (m) William de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby and had John Ferrers de Stebbing.|
|1239-1279||William [Robert] de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby De Ferrers (m) Eleanor deBohun and had||[some sources say] Robert de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby (m) Alianore De Bohun died at age 40 (was poisoned) in 1279 Alianore was daugter of Humphrey De Bohun
Another Source says:
He rebelled against King Henry III and was arrested and imprisoned first in the Tower of London, then in Windsor Castle, and his lands and earldom were forfeited.
.Interesting that Lady Agnes Meschines Chester of King Swen’s lineage and King Alfred the Great’s lineage and Lady Godiva as well.
|John, Baron Ferrers of Chartley De Ferrers de Stebbing [May have ] Born : 20 Jun 1271 Cardiff, Wales (m) Lady Hawise De Muscegros, died 1312 but on 25 March 1309 had
||Some reports show John held the Stebbings estate for King John of England. He is reported to be the first to take the name of de Stebbing
According to “Twenty-two of the churches of Essex architecturally described and illustrated” By George Buckler, published 1856:
The Stebbing parish was held by Siward in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and by two Norman Lords, namely, Henry de Ferrers and Ralf Peverell in the time of William the Conqueror. It is divided into three Manors, 1. Stebbing Hall 2. Porters Hall. 3. Friars or Priors Hall.
The Manor of Stebbing Hall belonged to Ralf Peverell, who held the larger portion of the Parish; he married Maud, (daughter of Ingelric, Founder of the Collgiate Church of St. Martin le Grande in London) concubine to William the Conqueror when Duke of Normandy. Her son William, surnamed Peverel, was created Earl of Nottingham and possessed 125 Lordships. The Lordship was vested in the De Ferrers family which Dugdale considered to be the most noted in England. Henry de Ferrers was one of the commissioners appointed by the Conqueror to survey Worcestershire; he held 210 lordships, of which five were in Essex, namely Sileteia, Stibengha (Stebbing) Stepla, Udeham and Cinga or Ginga (Buttsbury).
Robert, Earl of Derby and Nottingham founded the Priory of Woodham Ferrers : his son William was with King Richard 1st in the Holy Land, and was killed at the siege of Acon in 1191. Robert de Ferrers, the last Earl of Derby, siding with the Barons against King Henry the Third, was deprived of his cast possessions ; but after three years imprisonment, his lands were restored on condition that he should pay fifty thousand pounds to Prince Edmund, which, he failing to do, the lands were made over to the Prince. William de Ferrers, father of the above, gave his second son the manors of Woodham, Stebbing, and Fairstead with one messuage in Chiche, by which the Essex Estates were saved to the Family. 1339 Henry de Ferrers obtained a Charter for a market and fair to be held in this Parish.
In the Fifteenth Century this estate [Stebbing] passed by marriage to Grey of Ruthin, and in the next centure it was alienated by the Duke of Suffolk to Sir Robert Southwell : He sold it to King Henry the Eighth, who exchanged it in 1545, with Sir Giles Capel. The Earl of Essex is the present  Lord of the Manor and owns the greater part of the Parish.
Porter’s Hall Stebbing
The Manor of Porter’s Hall was held in King John’s reign by John de Stebbing, a younger branch of the De Ferrers family. in 1265 by Gilbert Dunstavill, who had “an extent” of taken.
1296, William de Umfravill died possessed of a portion of it.
Henry and John Porter were the owners in the reigns of Edward the Firts and Second.
1328 Bartholomew de Badlesmere was possessed of it.
1555 Sir Giles Capel held it of Queen Mary
The Manor of Prior’s Hall, Stebbing
The Rectory was annexed to the Lordship of Stebbing. In the time of Henry the Second, William de Ferrers gave the church with the great tithes to the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem; The grant was confirmed by his Son Robert and a vicarage ordained of which the Prior continued Parton till the dissolution of their order, when the Patronage fell to the Crown.
1543 King Henry the Eigth granted the Rectory with the Advowson to Thomas Cornewall
1567, Humfrey Cornewall alienated them to William Tiffin, Esq.
1575 they were sold to William Fitch Esq.
1585 to William and Bartholomew Brooke.
1601 to John and Thomas Sorell, whose descendant Roger Mansir sold them early in the Eighteenth Century to Arthur Batt, Esq. of London, Merchant.
The Impropriator in right of the Rectory, holds the Manor of Prior’s Hall.
A Chantry was founded in the CHurch by Sir John Bultell, Clerk, and in Obit by John Gunnock.
In the Parish are two apparently artificial [man made] mounds, on one of which tradition says there was a castle.
Area in Statute Acres: 4301
Number of houses in 1851: 339
|Robert, Baron Ferrers of Chartley De Ferrers who (m) Joan, Lady of Willisham De la Mote and before 1350 had||These are of questionable ancestry to the Stebbins name|
|Sir Robert DeFerrers (m) ,who before dying ion 24 Dec 1380 had in 1373|
|Robert, Baron Ferrers of Wemm de Ferrers|
Confirmed Direct Bloodline of the Michael Stebbins’ Family
|John STEBBING Born ABT 1420 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk
Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown Married: ABT 1440 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England Children
William STEBBING b: 1440 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk,
Thomas STEBBING b: ABT 1450 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, E
John STEBBING b: 1452 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England
Marriage 2 UNKNOWN in Kettleburgh, Suffulk, England
|The Stebbing family of England probably took their surname from theparish of Stebbing in Hinkford Hundred, county Essex (Greenlee, Ralph Stebbine & Greenlee, Robert Lemuel, The Stebbins Genealogy, (1904), pp. 13-50).|
|John STEBBING Born 1452 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, Married: ABT 1470 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, and had
Thomas STEBBING b: 1475 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England
Catherine STEBBING b: 1476 in Townstall, Dartmouth, England
|Thomas Stebbing Born: 1475 Married: ABT 1500 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England and had
John STEBBING b: ABT 1503 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England
|An anecdote from someone else’s genealogy page:
“… There in the church we found a brass in the floor by the altar to Arthur Penning and his two wives, Frances daughter of William Stebbing of Kentons who died in 1559 and Katherine daughter of Anthony Broke of Cretingham who died in 1614. Arthur died in 1593. On the ceiling of the church there are several coats of Arms including the Pennings and the Stebbings. According to the church pamphlet one of the bells also has the initials A.P. indicating that Arthur donated the bell to the church and his initials are also on one of the front pews. So he was obviously and important man there.
Sounds to me as though there should be a William Stebbing born about 1500. (Assume that a 1st wife died young, perhaps around 30, and that her father was about 30 when he had her.) “
|John Stebbing Birth: ABT 1503 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk, England
Married Alice BEF 1524 in Kettleburgh, Suffulk, and had
William STEBBING b: ABT 1521 in Essex, England
|William Stebbins was born about 1521 in Essex, England. He died 28 May 1561 in Bocking Parish, Essex, England. WIth Elizabeth [Filby?] had|
|William Stebbins (William Gulielmus Stebbing) was born 1540 in Bocking, Essex, England (some say Black Notley in 1541). With Rose Rugle, he had the following children:
|ID: I10482 Name: William STEBIGNE Sex: M Birth: 1538 in Bocking, Essex, England BIRTH: Alternate birth: About 1542 Woodham, Martiner Parrish, Essex, England
Note: Surname may be spelled Stebinge. Famous Political US Leaders has him traced in two different lines, one spelled as Stebbens and the other as Stebbins.
Father: William STEBBING b: ABT 1521 in Essex, England
Marriage 1 Rose RUGLE Married: ABT 1563 in Essex, England
William STEBBINS b: ABT 1561 in Bocking, Essex, England
Thomas Francis STEBBING b: 1564 in Bocking, Essex, England
George STEBBING b: ABT 1565
William STEBBING b: ABT 1567 in Black Notley, Essex, England
Elizabeth STEBBING b: ABT 1568 in Bocking, Essex, England
Sources: Title: GenCircles.com Note: ABBR GenCircles.com Title: The Chamberlain Family Note
|Sir Thomas Francis Stebbins Was born 1564 in Bocking, Essex, England. He died 16 Oct 1660 in Bocking, Essex England (or Brookins, Essex, Eng.). Thomas married Ellen on 1591 in Bocking, Essex, England. Ellen was born about 1565 in Bocking, Essex, England. She died 1612 in Bocking, Essex, England. They had the following children:
|Rowland Stebbins (1592-14 December 1671) Sarah WHITING, b. 1591; d. Oct 1649
|More info on Rowland Stebbins
Rowland arrived in MA on November 12, 1634; settled in Roxbury MA 1634; moved to to Agawam (Springfield) MA 1639 and was granted lot # 5, 10 rods wide 24 Dec 1640; pioneer of Northampton MA 1656; Springfield MA 1663; Northampton MA after Feb 1664/5: will 1 Mer 1669/70; died 14 Dec 1671 Northampton MA: bur Northampton MA.
|John Stebbins Born: 1626 at: England Married: 14 MAR 1646 at: Springfield, Hampden, MA Died: 7 MAR 1678 at: Northampton, Hampshire, MA Spouses: Mary Anne MUNSON and Abigail BARTLETT
With Mary Anne Munson, John had:
With Abigail Bartlett (Daughter of Robert Bartlett)
|John Stebbins was probably a farmer; taxed for 27 1/2 acres land 1646 Springfield MA; 2 acre land grant Springfield MA 21 Feb 1649: Roxbury MA 1651; 3 acre land grant Springfield MA 25 Dec 1651; 10 acre land grant Springfield MA 30 Jan 1655;
His death was ‘probably’ by accident at his sawmill.
Another account says: John settled in Northampton MA 1656; marr 2nd 17 Dec 1657 Northampton MA Abigail BARTLETT, she died 10 Oct 1710 at So Hadley Falls MA; he died 7 March 1678/9 Northampton MA,
John and Mary Anne Munson Married May 14 1746 Mary Anne was the widow of Abraham Munson who was drowned in the Connecticut River Oct 29, 1645.
“Justice in 17th Century Deerfield.” Cases selected by Kevin Sweeny states:
May 2, 1655
(John’s son at 8 years old… )John Stebbins (b 1647) beinge taken notice for misbehavinge himself towards his aged Father calling him Old foole and uttering other unseemingly words toward him was the day abovesaid examined thereof: and the matter beinge not ripe for fynall issue, the said John Stebin did before the Commissioners bynd himselfe in the summ of Forty pounds to appeare before Authority here established to make answer for the said misbehaving himselfe to his Father when he shall be thereunto required.
This matter beinge further considered there was not found full proofe of such evil carriage whereupon he was released and discharged of his bond above mentioned:
Pynchon Court Record, p. 234.
More on John: He was a farmer at Springfield and Northampton. and in 1651 was for a time at Roxbury. He had grants of land at Springfield, and bought a house there. He was highway surveyor; selectman in 1655. In 1656 he moved to Northampton and his home was on the lower end of Pudding Lane, now Hawley Street. He owned saw mills there; was measurer of land in 1659-71 ; committee to lay out highways in 1660 ; juror in 1661 l selectman in 1675-78. He owned the covenant in the church, June 18, 1661, served on the church building committee the same year. Was bailiff 1664 ; contributed to the Harvard College fund 1672-73 ten bushels of wheat. It was commonly believed that he was killed by witches. He was part owner of the mill on Broadbrook and was killed in some mysterious way while alone in the mill.
His second wife Abigail Bartlett who was killed October 10, 1710 in a fall from her horse on a visit to her children at Coventry Connecticut.
This from “Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of the State of Massachusetts, Volume 2”
|Thomas Stebbins Born: 6 MAY 1662 at: Northampton, Hampshire, MA. On September 26, 1684 he married Elizabeth WRIGHT, daughter of Samuel WRIGHT and Elizabeth BURT. Thomas died 28 April 1712. He had
|Thomas took the “oath of allegiance” Feb 8 1678. He was appointed as a fence viewer and served in this role from 1696 to 1696.|
|Captain Joseph Stebbins b. 30 March 1697 died 31 Jan 31 1780 had
Joseph Stebbins was born 30 Mar 1697 in Northampton, MA. He died 31 Jan 1780 in Northfield, MA. Joseph married Mary Williams daughter of Zebediah Williams and Sarah Hawks, on 1718 in Northampton, MA. Mary was born 13 Feb 1700/1701 in Northampton, MA. She died 23 Dec 1786 in Northfield, MA. They had the following children:
|Joseph Stebbins first settled in Deerfield (Franklin Co.) Mass. but in 1726 bo’t “the William CLARKE lot (19 rods 11 feet wide)” in Northfield, and “resided there the rest of his life”.
Page 167, Vol. I STEBBINS GENEALOGY by Greenleaf (wasn’t it Greely?) cites the HISTORY OF NORTHFIELD, MASS. pages 181,230,237,277-88,also pages 19,45,65 and 315 all revealing his activities, travels, land ownership, and prowess at fighting and competing with the Indians.
JOSEPH STEBBINS first settled in Deerfield, Massachusetts; but in 1726 he bought the William Clarke lot (19 rods 11 feet wide), in Northfield, and resided there the remainder of his life. He was one of the leading opponents of Mr. [Reverend] Doolittle, in the church controversy in 1736-7. His name appears in “Acc’t of Work done at Dea. Alexander’s mount”, and he is credited with the following: “JOSEPH STEBBINS—1 day hand and team £1. 6. 1 day 0. 8. 0.” In the spring of 1750, he built a log house on his lot near Ashuelot, the house standing eighty rods south of Stebbins’ island, which remained in the family for several generations. His name appears in the “list of proprietors in the fourth division of all the resident land owners and taxpayers in 1751, and the relative valuation of each”, at which time he owned one hundred and eighty-nine acres of land. At the first meeting of the inhabitants, September 25, 1753, “JOSEPH STEBBINS JR. was appointed by the charter as surveyor and on the committee to lot out the land”. On the alarm of the Indians, on the 1st of September, 1753, CAPTAIN JOSEPH STEBBINS and his family resorted to the stockade around the house of John Evans. JOSEPH STEBBINS built his house, in 1763, on the west side of the river (in what is now Vernon), covering it with rived clap-boards, which were split from oak bolts, or cuts, and five to seven feet long, eight to ten inches wide, and about one and one-half inches thick on the back. They were laid lapping, and made a durable and tolerably tight covering. The thatch used in covering the roof was nothing more than the native grass which grew in the meadow. Clary’s Island, now known as Stebbins’ Island, contains thirty acres; and is situated below the great bend, and about one-fourth of a mile above the mouth of the Ashuelot. For several generations it has belonged to CAPTAIN JOSEPH STEBBINS and his descendants. In the friendly trials of prowess and strength between the reds and the white men, CAPTAIN STEBBINS proved more than a match for his Indian rivals. In the seating of the Meeting House, in 1780, the widow of JOSEPH STEBBINS was assigned pew number twenty-four.
Another account states:
Captain Joseph Stebbins was born at Northhampton, March 30, 1697. He settled at Deerfield, removed to Northfield in 1726 and died January 31, 1780 at Northfield. Was one of the leasing opponents of Rev. Mr. Doolittle in the church troubles, 1736-37. He built a log house near the Ashuelot south of Stebbins Island in the spring of 1750; was surveyor, elected at the first town meeting, September 25 1753. On the indian alarm of 1753 he and his family resorted to the stockaded house of John Evans. He built a house in 1765 on the west side of the river, covering it with clapboards and thatching the roof with grass from the meadow.
|Captain Joseph Stebbins (II) was born 13 Jan 1720 in Deerfield, MA. He died 6 Feb 1784 in Vernon, VT. Joseph married Thankful Belding, daughter of Stephen Belding and Mindwell Wright, on 1741 in Northfield, MA. Thankful was born 6 Jan 1717/1718 in Northfield, MA. She died 9 May 1788 in Vernon, VT. They had the following children:
| Joseph Stebbins (II) Occupation, farmer. Politics, whig. Religion, Congregationalist. Resided at Northfield, Mass., and Vernon, Vt.
JOSEPH STEBBINS settled in what is now Vernon, Vermont, about 1740. )Vermont Hist mag V p 287) He bought a large farm of excellent meadow and plain, from the Merrimans on May 21, 1749, the deed of which is the oldest deed recorded by John Bridgman, first Town Clerk of Vernon (or Hinsdale), County of Cumberland, Province of New York. (Re-recorded March 16, 1799, in Book I, page 128, the Town Records of Vernon having been destroyed by fire June 11, 1797.) The third oldest deed was dated the “26th year of his Majesty’s reign (George )”, and was from Titus Belding to JOSEPH STEBBINS, Feb. 2, 1753. Hinsdale (now Vernon), on the west side of Connecticut River, was granted p-275. by charter of said Hinsdale Sept. 5, 1753, under the seal of the Province of New Hampshire to Fourteen Proprietors who lived within the Province of New Hampshire at the time said charter was given, viz: Ebenezer Hinsdale, Orlando Bridgman, Benoni Wright, Robert Cooper, Caleb Howe, Daniel Shattuck, John Sargent’s Heirs, Peter Evans, Samuel Burr, John Evans, Hezekiah Elmore, JOSEPH STEBBINS, and Moses “Belding, In the .’ ‘ Province rate of taxes ‘ ‘ for the town of Hinsdale, in 1764, including pools, real estate and personal estate, JOSEPH STEBBINS was assessed Papers three pence. Among the “Names of those who own Land on ye East side who live other towns (Persons that live out of the town of Hinsdale) who own land for which they are rated”, appears the name of JOSEPH STEBBINS, who was then assessed three pence.
On August 20, 1756, CAPTAIN STEBBINS with two of his children – Tabitha and Elijah—and one or two men. were harvesting wheat upon his farm on the plain above the meadow, east of the house (occupied in 1872 by his grandson, John Stebbins.) Two Indians had discovered the reaping party, and lay in ambush among the thick alders in the hollow ten or twelve rods North of the house, watching them.
Joseph’s brother Zebediah Stebbins [Hoyt in his history of Indian wars, is mistaken in Stebbins’ Christian name, and the date of the month. Hoyt called it Zebulon. It was Zebediah. Hoyt ‘s date was June 20th instead of August 20th, 1759], brother of CAPTAIN JOSEPH STEBBINS, and Reuben Wright came from Northfield, five miles distant, on horseback, and discovered the Indians in ambush. One of the men said, “Are they white men or Indians?” At that both Indians rose, fired, and wounded Wright in the arm, which bled profusely at first. The men fled up the path in the hollow south of the Stebbins’ Cemetery. The Indians pursued with vigor, expecting no doubt that Wright would fall from his horse and they would obtain his scalp as a trophy of victory. The white men had but one gun, and after crossing Island Brook, about one hundred and twenty-five rods west of the conflict, Stebbins, requesting Wright to hold his horse, said he would return and endeavor to kill at least one of the Indians as they came up the brook. Accordingly he took his position, and as they came up the bank (history states he received another fire from them) he fired, when one of the Indians leaped up in the air and exclaimed “Ugh!” then fell prostrate to the ground. Stebbins mounted his horse and the two proceeded on their way, crossing the river by swimming their horses, as was the custom in the Indian wars, to Fort Hinsdale, New Hampshire, built by Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale in 1743, which was situated nearly opposite Fort Sartwell in Vernon. The next day a party of men from the fort went and examined the ground and found blood in the road where the Indian had fallen. When the Indians fired on the two men on horseback it probably prevented CAPTAIN JOSEPH STEBBINS and his reaping party from being killed or captured by the Indians; for, on hearing the report of the guns they knew there was trouble near. The father seized Elijah, placed him on his back, ran across the meadow, re-crossed the river, and returned to a little fort, or fortified house, on the farm (owned in 1872 by Edward Stebbins), from whence the party had come.
Later, On August 17, 1869, Mr. George M. Lee was digging up stumps and leveling the land on his farm in order to use a mowing machine, when in one place he plowed two furrows deep, struck a stone, and on taking it up found more under it. He then took his shovel and dug up three or four bushels of flat stones laid around in regular order in a circle about two feet in diameter, and beneath the stones was an Indian grave and some remains of a skeleton were to be seen, buried four or five feet deep, in a sitting posture. The grave on the south side was dug perpendicular, against which the back of the corpse was placed, facing north, as the form was still visible by the remaining marks. On the north side of the grave, which was small at the top, a hole was dug beneath the surface in a horizontal direction into which his feet and legs had been thrust. His bones were principallj’ decayed, the thigh bones appearing like some old roots, but crumbled on being exposed to the air and touch. This grave was on nearly level ground (between Stebbins’ and the County road), and forty rods south of Island Brook, from where Zebediah Stebbins had shot the Indian in 1756, one hundred and thirteen years previous to this discovery. There can be little doubt but that this was the grave and remains of the Indian that Mr. Stebbins killed at that time.
|Eliakim Stebbins was born 17 Nov 1753 in Vernon, VT. He died 28 Jul 1836 in Vernon, VT. Eliakim married Rebecca Hawks, daughter of Colonel John Hawks and Elizabeth Nims, on 4 Aug 1785 in Deerfield, MA. Rebecca was born 4 Jul 1753 in Deerfield, MA. She died 9 Feb 1816 in Vernon, VT. They had the following children:
| born November 17, 1753, at Vernon, Vermont; died July 28, 1836, at Vernon Windham County, Vermont; married August 4, 1785, at Deerfield, Massachusetts, to REBECCA HAWKS, born July 4. 1753, at Deerfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts; died February 9, 1816, at Vernon, Vermont, or Deerfield. Massachusetts, who was a daughter of Colonel John Hawks, the famous Indian fighter, and Elizabeth Nims;
Occupation, farmer; politics, whig; religion, Congregationalist. Resided at Vernon. Vermont, and Northfield, Massachusetts.
|John Stebbins was born 15 Jan 1794 in Vernon, VT. He died 12 Aug 1875 in Vernon, VT. John married Harriet Houghton, daughter of Nehemiah Houghton and Lydia Dodge, on 12 Jul 1825 in Vernon, VT. Harriet was born 6 Mar 1805 in Vernon, VT. She died 15 Jan 1864 in Vernon, VT. They had the following children:
|JOHN STEBBINS was a prominent citizen of Vernon, Vermont. He was Justice of the Peace (not confirmed, but certainly had title of Esq) , and held many offices of honor and trust, several times representing the town in the State Legislature. He was a man of the most absolutely strict integrity. While he shunned general society, he was a genial and delightful companion to the few whom he admitted to close friendship.
His writings, in consequence of much travel and observation, are clear and forcible, also instructive and entertaining, and are mostly of a historical character.
1873 Birthday Celebration for John:
About 40 of the relatives of John Stebbins, Esq., met at his residence, in the bow of the river, to give him a surprise on his birthday, Jan. 15, 1873. Relics of the past were exhibited; the wedding suit of fifty years since, in good condition, and a facsimile of the old English Stebbins coat of arms, painted by the wife of Prof. J. S. Lee, of Canton, N. Y.
Good cheer reigned, the house rung with old-time tunes, and heartfelt speeches were made. The address was by A. H. Washburn, Esq., from which we hereby extract:
“Mr. Stebbins is of the 7th generation, from Rowland Stebbing of Stebbing, Essex Co., England. He has made good use of his opportunities and held many offices of honor and trust in Vernon, and several times represented the town in the legislature. The loss of his worthy companion, at the time when they were looking forward to years of freedom from care, and the enjoyment of the fruits of united industry and fidelity is irreparable. His writings in consequence of much travel and observation, are clear and forcible, also instructive and entertaining, and mostly of a historical character; and he is one of those men who never grow old in thought or manner of life.
Mr. Stebbins is a man of the most absolutely strict integrity, and no one can mistake the sentiment he entertains toward men or measures. He shuns general society, but is a genial and delightful companion with the few whom he admits to close friendship. He believes in doing with all his might whatever he undertakes, and is as faithful to that idea in the ordinary amusements of his family as in making pecuniary operations involving thousands. He has living, seven children, all respectable and respected in the communities where they reside; and grandchildren (who are the ninth generation from Roland,) who give promise of future usefulness, and all are blest with a good supply of this world’s goods.”
Mr. Washburn was followed by L. Brown, Esq., who made some excellent remarks, followed by Sumner Titus, Esq., R. S. Wood, Esq., and by the oldest man in town, Eli Lee, Esq., brother-in-law of our host, with interesting retrospection.
Alonzo Stebbins was born 29 Aug 1826 in Vernon, VT. He died in Vernon, VT. Alonzo married Cornelia S Holland on 18 Jul 1855. Cornelia died in Vernon, VT. They had the following children:
Children of Agnes Serene Stebbins and John C. Gray:
Edith and Robert J. Kuhn had
Robert S. Kuhn (b. May 28 1923) who in 1956 M. Licia DiVona and together had Felicia Maristella Kuhn in June 1965. I (Michael)had the pleasure to meet Felicia in the mid 90’s in south Vermont.
|Alfred Stebbins was born 4 Sep 1834 in Vernon, VT.
Profession: Librarian. Politics: Republican. Religion: liberal.
ALFRED STEBBINS graduated at Amherst College August 9, 1860, and spent several years teaching in the South and West. In 1863 he went to California, where he was employed in the custom house, and was afterwards deputy collector of internal revenue. He was a mounted rifleman in the frontier service and traveled many thousand miles. While in California, he was also librarian of the Mercantile Library at San Francisco.
Final Residence: Oakland, California (1889). Alfred died in Oakland
Alfred married Edith Large, daughter of (William P Large and Sally Rowena Guthrie), on 13 Dec 1869 in Dubuque, IA. Edith was born 21 Oct 1845 in Putnam, OH. She died in Oakland, CA.
They had the following children:
|Alfred is credited as one author of “Alfred Stebbins autograph collection, 1834-1872” which Consists of letters, autographs, and photographs of artists solicited by Stebbins and pasted in his copy of Henry T. Tuckerman’s BOOK OF THE ARTISTS (1867), extra illustrated edition. Among the artists are Christopher P. Cranch, F.O.C. Darley, Sanford R. Gifford, Eastman Johnson, Miner K. Kellogg, John F. Kensett, Jervis McEntee, Samuel F.B. Morse, Thomas Nast, Erastus D. Palmer, George H. Smillie, John Vanderlyn and Worthington Whittredge.
This and his comment in a letter to John Muir in 1894, “Our friend, Keith, is mounted high on a new God. He has struck the method of coloring of the old masters! …You’ll have to come down & see him in the new frenzy!!” suggest that Alfred appreciated nature, and the arts.
|Elwyn Wilfred Stebbins b. 15 Sep 1870 — died May 20 1950 at 79 years old married [Emma] Marion Long b. 31 Dec 1881
Together they had
|Elwyn Stebbins was a graduate of MIT 1893 with a degree in Mining Engineering. He continued in this field until he retired.
A 1894 letter exchange between Alfred Stebbins and John Muir suggested the Elwyn Stebbins ventured into Yosemite just after his graduation “..in company with his sister & young ladies & Gentlemen of the University of California…”
University of California Chronicle, Volume 10 (1908) mentions: “Elwyn Stebbins has removed his offices of consulting engineer to 819 Mills Building San Francisco”
San Francisco Chronicle June 4, 1902 Page 7 mentions:
An engagement of unusual interest to college society is that of Mies Emma Marian Long of Sacramento – Elwyn Wilfred Stebbins of Woodside. The two young people have been graduated within the last year from the University of California where they were both prominent in student affairs Miss Long besides making a brilliant record in the classroom as a student devoting herself especially to English and Greek has earned marked distinction in dramatic work. She has taken an interest in student histrionic efforts ever since her freshman year when she took a part in The Assignation presented by the college dramatic club, The Mask and Gown. In her Junior year Miss Long played a leading part in the theatricals given by her class on Junior day acting in the clever curtain raiser entitled A Triumph of Science. Later she was given an important role in the charter day play Lord Ogleby which won for the student actors unusual praise from the critics. Besides her college dramatic work Miss Long has been seen in numerous private theatricals during her stay In Berkeley and Oakland. Miss Long has in addition to her histrionic ability musical talents which are being cultivated. Before her marriage she expects to devote at least a year to teaching.
Mr Stebbins is at present engaged in mining engineering in the Sierra Nevadas in the southeastern part of Butte county. He is a graduate of the Massachusetts School of Technology and has been a student in the mining department of the University of California for several years having completed hie course here last December. He is a member of the Chi Phi fraternity having affiliated with that society when in the East.
About Emma ‘Marian’ Stebbins
Marion was a graduate of University of California Berkely with a M.A. [in drama and an M.A?] in English. She became chairman of the Drama Department [some say Speech and Dramatic Arts] at Mills College in Oakland where she remained until her retirement, although with some years out for study in New York, travel, acting assignments, and administrative positions at Mills College. A 1920 edition of, “The Argonaut” lists Mrs. Elwyn Stebbins of the English Department as the Director of two productions, “The Turtle Dove” and “Prunella”
Emma is also listed as an officer of the The College Women’s Sufferage Club in the book, “Western Women, Volume 1″ July 11, 1907
Also, The Educational Theatre Journal V 9-10 in 1957 states (by Hubert Hefner) The death of Marian Long (Mrs. Elwyn) Stebbins on 29 September 1956 took from us yet another of the national leaders in academic theatre and in the American Educational Theater Association. Morn in Sacramento on 31..[continued in the next column possibly not attributed to Mrs. Stebbins] ….meticulous and exacting artist in her own work, endowed with remarkable energy and vitality, she could never countenance or condone laziness and low standards in others. Her contributions to the enrichment of the lives of many Mills C0llege women will continue as a heritage…”
February 4 (Year?) letter from Edith Stebbins Jennings Modesto California to Betty G Stebbins in Santa Cruz California about her mother, Marion Long Stebbins
Dear Betty, I don’t know much about my mother’s past in terms of documents and letters.
Her mother, Margaret Younger was born in Scotland and emigrated here with her parents–we don’t know when. Margaret Younger married Thomas Mitchell Long here they had five children.
I think Marion (named Emma), was the eldest, born in Missoula Montana. I don’t know just when they moved to Sacramento, but mother went to high school there.
Margaret Long was deserted by Thomas Mitchell Long and raised her five children pretty much alone, although he sent money now and then. He apparently was very able and erratic, and had a compulsion to tell employers how to run their business. (All this is hearsay). Margaret Long taught Elementary School. She had it pretty rough. Her father, according to Jess’s account, was a darling. Aunt Jess was Marian Long Stebbins sister. He (Marion’s Father) was also a very good candy-maker and supported his family here by that Talent. Mother [Marion] learned from him and use to make wonderful candies. I remember some of the craft, but never did it on my own.
Nor do I know much about my grandmother, Edith Large Stebbins, except that she was well-educated, fairly well-off, that her mother was quite a woman and helped slaves escape through the underground. Edith was quite poor, after Alfred died, and babysat, whatever, but later became quite wealthy through some land purchases Alfred had made in [Spokane] Washington. So Alfred’s land speculation gave us all what extra monies have come to us.
I found my grandmother Edith [Large Stebbins] a wonderful person, gentle, courteous, humorous, loving, intelligent, intellectual, secure in herself, most tolerant. — Edith Stebbins Jennings
Margaret (Peggy) Stebbins had no children. Margaret is said to have graduated from Stanford University (other reports say attended Berkeley) , was a gardening expert who co owned the Page Mill Nursery near Palo Alto California. Linda Stebbins mentions that she and Keith Stebbins visited aunt Peggy in Carmel, California. Michael Stebbins (son of Keith) mentions that he enjoyed visits with Margaret and her partner Margaret Truax at the Palo Alto Nursery where they would let him drive the tractor around and would cook, “unusual dishes you could not find elsewhere – and that were also delicious.” Some reports show Margaret died in July,1970.
On Margaret, another mention from a book, Eden: Journal of the California Garden & Landscape History Society Eden Spring 2015 • Vol. 18, No. 2
Edith Stebbins, a graduate of Mills College was an actress and a community theater director. In 1946, she married John Jennings and had one daughter: Penelope Ann Jennings born September 4, 1952.
Records show that Edith died in or near Modesto in 1992.
|Alfred Keith Stebbins March 26, 1904 — died July 6 1974
|Betty Gundlach Stebbins was of the Gundlach (German) Richardson Price (Wales 17xx) Gano (Fighting Chaplain) line|
|Michael Stebbins May 29, 1937 married Patricia Ann Lima and had
|Particia Ann Lima Stebbins b. 1942 was of the Lima & Dimartino line from Palermo Sicily|
|Michael Kirk Stebbins Feb 1965 married October 1986 Karen Lea Hughes (b. 11 1965) and had
|Karen Lea Hughes Stebbins was of the Hughes Jackson line.|
|Natasha Leanne Stebbins married David Cross and had