Gundlach Richardson Price Line

Gundlach Richardson Price Line



John C. Price Jr.
1777–1836  ??
Marriage: 30 December 1796
Franklin, Kentucky,   t0. Susan Gano (Or Susanna Hariet Gano 1777-1856)Together, they had


  1. John G Price 1801 also listed as Major John Gano Price 1797-1867)
  2. William H Price 1800-1836 (questionable)
  3. William Evans Price 1802-1864
  4. Elizabeth E. Price 1806
  5. Daniel C Price 1810
  6. Susan Mary Price 1812
  7. Richard Montgomery Gano Price 1815
  8. Isaac Eaton Price 1808? or 1818
  9. Tephen Price (1818?)
 Susan was daughter to  Rev John Gano who was the Fighting Chaplain to Gen. George Washington. Rev Gano is (allegedly) depicted in the well-known painting of the baptism of George Washington.  Rev. John Gano (1736-1804) m. Sarah Mary Stites (1737-1792) married 1755 in Queens NY.


The baptism event is disputed with evidence to and against.

Rev John Gano Birth  on 22 July 1736 at Hopewell, Mercer, New Jersey, United States; Died 10 AUG 1804 at Frankfort, Franklin County, Kentucky and buried at the same

John Gano was born to Daniel Gano 1681–1767 and Sarah Brittain or Britton 1692–1785  who married in 1715
at Staten Island, Richmond, Colony of New York, British Colonial America

Daniel Gano was born to Etienne Stephen Gayneau (GANO) 1654–1725 and  Susannah Usselton 1658–1712 who married  1 Aug 1679
Staten Island, Richmond, New York, United States

 Isaac Eaton Price 1808-1855 M. Elizabeth  Loughborough Price (1812-1870) also Loofbourrow also shown as 1816-1870


  1. Florida Price 1838
  2. Mary Belle Price 1840
  3. Nannie Price 1842
  4. Harry Price 1844
  5. Elizabeth (Bettie) L. Price 1846
  6. Charles Price 1848
Some newspaper articles suggest Isaac Eaton Price was a professor.


The death of Isaac Eaton Price at the residence of his son-in-law, Edward Haren on Washington avenue, in this city, removes another one of the pioneers who came to the vicinity of Kawsmouth at an early day. Mr. Price first came from Kentucky to Missouri in 1837 on a visit to a brother living in Howard county. His father dying soon after his departure from home, he returned to Kentucky, where he remained at the old home until 1839, when he came to Missouri again, purchasing a farm in Clay county, where he resided for many years, respected by all as a friend, neighbor and citizen. In iaob ne removed to St. Louis county, where for a time he was employed in the Surveyor-General’s office of Missouri and Illinois, his brother-in-law John Loughborough, holding that office during the administration of Franklin Pierce. Office labor not suiting him, he did not remain long in this employment. He  He purchased a farm in Ray county, Mo., to which he removed, and on which he remained until a few years ago, when he took up his residence with the daughter at whose home he died. Isaac Eaton Price was born in Woodford county, KY August 15th, 1808 and was consequently just two days over 77 years of age when he died. He was the last of a large family of children, there being seven sons and four daughters. He was married twice, his first wife being Susan Haggin, who died without issue. His second- wife, Elizabeth Loughborough, bore him six children, of whom, five are living, the eldest Florida P. being the wife of Mr. Edward Haren of this city, the second Mary Isabele, the wife of Mr. Wyatt Webb, of Vernon county, MO, The third, Harrison Price, residing in California; the fourth, Bettie L., the wife of Rev. H. M. Richardson, of Lexington, Mo., the youngest, a son, Charles G. Price, in the employ of the Santa Fe railroad at Argentine and residing in this city. Mr. Price’s wife died some fifteen years ago while on a visit to relatives at Columbia, Mo. And it was at. his earnest request that his remains were forwarded to that place for interment by the side of her who had preceded him. The funeral services at the home in this city were conducted by Rev. E. S. Dulin of Kansas City and Rev. R. P. Evans pastor of the Baptist church of Wyandott. Mr. Price had united with the Baptist church some thirty-two years ago, having been baptised by Dr. Dulin. Died In this city, August 13th, 1885, of rheumatism, George Frank. The deceased has been a resident of this city for the past 20 years, and by close attention to business succeeded in accumulating considerable property. …   From: August 20, 1885 The Wyandott Herald from Kansas City, Kansas · Page 3

Henry M. Richardson Married Elizabeth Price (Kansas)


Had Berta Jean Richardson (Bertie Richardson?) April 9, 1872?

Hints: The Liberty Tribune, Liberty, Clay County, Missouri 1885, “Mrs. H.M. Richardson, with her daughter, Miss Bertie, and niece, Miss Lizzie Harren, of Wyandotte, were visiting the family of Prof. Eaton this week.” – March 20, 1885: and Mrs. H.M. Richardson, and her daughter Miss Birtie, and niece, Miss Lizzie Harren, have returned to their homes in Wyandotte.”  Also, Richardson Hall was built in 1923 and named in honor of Mrs. H. M. Richardson, longtime dean of women at Hardin College. Hardin College and Conservatory of Music (1858 – 1931) was a women’s college located in the city of Mexico, Missouri.

Also listed as  Hardin College Faculty, 1909-1910. :

Mrs. H. M. Richardson, Lady Principal, Bible. 

Twenty years' experience in girls' schools (Baptist Female College, Lexington, 
Mo., and Hardin College); highly recommended by President W. A. Wilson? 
Baylor College, Belton, Texas; H. C. Wallace, Lexington, Mo.; Rev. G. W. 
Hyde, Lexington, Mo., and W. N. Collins, Superintendent of Postal Order De- 
partment, Kansas City office, 1897; traveling in Europe, summer of 1906; Lady 
Principal Hardin College since 1902; special work University of California, 
Berkeley, summer of 1908. 

In the July 04, 1935 issue of Ada Oklahoma Newspaper - Page 5 Mrs. H. M. Richardson and daughters spent Sunday afternoon with 
Mrs. Ben Richardson. Mr. and Mrs. Levi Blevins and daughter spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Blevins and family.


Gundlach Line:

John Gundlach of Germany married
Christine Hoffmeister of Germany and had Charles Gundlach on  22 Oct 1842 Baltimore, Fairfield County, Ohio, USA

Charles Gundlach Married  Martha Isabella Gundlach (who was born 1850 and died at 28 years old in 1878) Later, Charles married
Lieuranier Rawlings Gundlach
b 1858 d 1913One report suggests the following:We assume that with Martha Isabella,  they  had


  1. Stuart Summers  Gundlach (S.S. Gundlach)
    1870–1945 (some say 1869)
  2. Edna Bell Gundlach who only lived one year….

And with Lieuranier Rawlings

  1. Zenobia Gundlach who only lived three years…
  2. William Randolph Gundlach who only lived three years…
  3. George Augustus Gundlach

However, Stuart’s 1945  obituary lists that he leaves following siblings:

  1. Mrs. J.B. Elling, sr., 810 Barnett avenue, Kansas City, Kansas,
  2. Mrs. M.G. Woodson, Los Angeles,
  3. and a brother, C. Rawley Gundlach, Valley Park, Mo
Charles Gundlach’s occupation was listed as a shoe merchant.  


His marriage to Lieuranier Rallings is recorded on  13 FEb 1881  by minister Rev. S D Givens (Also Gibbons, S.D.) of Cumberland Presbyterian Church



Stuart Summers Gundlach b. 1870, d. 30 Mar 1945 M. Berta Jean Richardson  at Fullerton MO.

and had

  1. Wilford Gundlach (?)
  2. Dr. Ralph Harrelson Gundlach 1902 (wife , Bonnie Bird Gundlach)
  3. Elizabeth  Gundlach (Betty Gundlach) 6.29.1905
  4. Jean Gundlach July 17, 1913


 Stuart Summers Gundlach is mentioned in several books as a practicing attorney in Kansas City and later as a prosecuting attorney for the County of Shoshone, with a residence in Wallace Idaho.  References:    The Southwestern Reporter, Volume 160, Case & Comment – Volume 16 – Page 173,  and Cases Determined by the St. Louis, Kansas City and Springfield …, Volume 162, 1912.  and REPORT OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF IDAHO 1923-24


also: THE KANSAS CITY STAR, SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 1945, page 2

Also Mrs. S. S. Gundlach (Berta) is noted for her singing in 1913, “…. They knew exactly what note to begin on and everyone ‘began at that time. Solo Parts Well Taken The solo parts were well taken by Mrs. S. S. Gundlach, soprano, Mrs. W. K. Corn, contralto, Mr. George Deane, tenor, and Charles H. Amadon, basso. Mrs. Gundlach was particularly enjoyed in “Come Unto Him” and “How Beautiful Are the Feet,” both being well written soprano solos.  December 17, 1913
The Atchison Daily Champion from Atchison, Kansas · Page 3

Obituary: S.S. GUNDLACH Lawyer, Formerly of Kansas City, Dies in Wallace, Idaho: S.S. Gundlach, 75 years old, lawyer, formerly of Kansas City, died yesterday at his home in Wallace, Idaho. Born in Lafayette County, Missouri, he lived in Kansas City twenty years until 1916. He attended the Wentworth Military academy, Lexington, Mo., and the University of Kentucky. He was a veteran of the Spanish-American war. He leaves his wife, Mrs. Berta R. Gundlach of the home; a son, Ralph Gundlach, a professor at the University of Washington in Seattle; two daughters, Miss Jean Gundlach and Mrs. Elizabeth Martin, both of San Francisco; two sisters, Mrs. J.B. Elling, sr., 810 Barnett avenue, Kansas City, Kansas, and Mrs. M.G. Woodson, Los Angeles, and a brother, C. Rawley Gundlach, Valley Park, Mo.

 Betty Gundlach M. Alfred Keith Stebbins


and had

Michael Stebbins (1937)

 Michael Stebbins (1937) M. Patricia Anne Lima (1943)


and had

  1. Christian M. Stebbins (1964)
  2. Michael K. Stebbins (1965)




Rev. H. M. Richardson Regularly Ordained as a Congregational Minister.
The Candidate Passes a Host Satisfactory Examination Before the Council.
The pastor of the Congregational church is now a regularly ordained minister. Incoordination council met at 1 p. m. Wednesday. Rev. A. A. Brown read the call for the council, and one motion was elected moderator. Rev. C. H. Burroughs of Belle Fourche was elected scribe. After prayer and singing, the roll of the council was made out as follows:
Congregational Church Belle Fourche Rev. C. H. .Burroughs, pastor,
Mrs. C. H. Burroughs, delegate; Congregational church of Deadwood, Rev. A. S. McConnell, pastor; Congregational, church of Lead City, Rev. George Scott pastor; Rev. A. A. Brown, superintendent of home missions, present by special invitation. Mr. McConnell was appointed to conduct the EXAMINATION OF THE CANDIDATE, Mr. H. M. Richardson.
The candidate read the creed, adopted by the national Congregational council of 1883, as a statement of his doctrinal views.
He was questioned with reference to the nature of the resurrection body, inspiration, future probation and Sabbath observance. In reference to his literary attainments he stated that he was regular graduate of St. Johnsbury academy, St. Johnsbury, Vt, of Beloit college, Beloit Wis., and of Chicago Theological Seminary. He had also received the degree of Master of Arts from Beloit college. In reference to religious experience and call to the ministry, he said that owing to the faithful teaching of his parents, who were foreign missionaries, he had very early had strong religious convictions, and at the age of twelve, without urging from any one, he united with the mission church of Constantinople, Turkey. At the age of fourteen be decided It to be his duty to become a minister of the gospel, and with that end ever in view he had pursued his course of study. At this point the examination closed, and the council withdrew, and on motion the examination was pronounced satisfactory.



Systematic Theology. — The Lucretia Ambrose prize is the income of one thousand dollars, and is given to the member of the Middle Class who prepares the best essay on a designated topic in Systematic Theology.

This prize was, in 1891, divided between Mr. H. M. Richardson and Mr. L. G. Kent




About Ralph Gundlach:

Ralph Harrelson Gundlach was an associate professor of psychology who taught at the University of Washington from 1927 until January 1949, when he was fired following hearings held by the Washington Legislature’s Joint Fact-Finding Committee on Un-American Activities and by the U.W. Faculty Committee on Tenure and Academic Freedom. The dismissal of Gundlach and two other U.W. professors—the first formally acknowledged faculty firings in the United States for Communist-related activities—set a precedent for the rest of the country to follow in the 1950s.

Gundlach was born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1902. He enrolled at the University of Washington in 1920, received a B.A. in political science in 1924, and an M.A. in psychology in 1925. He then went to the University of Illinois where, in the summer of 1927, he completed all requirements for a Ph.D. except for his dissertation. He left to become a lecturer at the U.W. but returned to Illinois temporarily in December 1927 to finish his Ph.D., which he was awarded in 1928. Gundlach continued to teach at the U.W., was promoted to assistant professor in 1930, and to associate professor in 1937. He developed a reputation as a leader in his field and spent summers teaching at other institutions, including the University of California, Berkeley (1939 and during a leave of absence from the U.W., 1942-44); the University of Southern California (1940); the University of British Columbia (1944); the University of Iowa (1945); and New York University (1946).

Gundlach found himself at the center of controversy throughout his career at the University. In 1944 the U.S. government wanted him to evaluate servicemen, but the Civil Service Commission failed to give him a security clearance because they thought he might be a Communist sympathizer. At the U.W. Gundlach often became the center of negative attention because of his field of study and methods of teaching. Dean Edwin Guthrie, also a psychologist at the University, disagreed sharply with many of Gundlach’s practices and became his nemesis throughout the 1940s. Practices such as distributing questionnaires on race relations and anti-Semitism met with disapproval from Guthrie and other members of the faculty and administration. Another incident involved a 1946 survey that Gundlach sent to reporters in Washington D.C., asking their opinions of Washington’s Congressmen. The results were favorable for Hugh DeLacy, and Gundlach leaked the information. After DeLacy publicized the results and attributed them to a U.W. survey, Gundlach found himself criticized for improper conduct and for hindering the school’s efforts to remain aloof from partisan politics. The scope of Gundlach’s teaching also irked some faculty at the University who thought his psychology courses dwelt too heavily on political and economic theory and infringed on the territory of other departments. This disapproval came despite the recognition Gundlach had received as a leader in his field and his service as President of the Western Psychological Association. These controversies had tangible results for Gundlach, who did not receive promotions when he was eligible or get a salary increase when the University restored faculty salaries to pre-Depression levels.

Redbaiting became a dominant feature of Washington politics during the election of 1946, and it did not take long before it affected the University. Albert F. Canwell was elected as a freshman Legislator in that year and later created the Interim Committee on Un-American Activities (better known as the Canwell Committee). In July 1948, this committee held hearings on the Communist activities of University faculty. The Committee subpoenaed numerous faculty members whom it suspected might be members of the Communist party or Communist sympathizers. Originally Gundlach was one of nine professors who announced they would not respond to the orders, but soon became the first to recant. In his testimony before the Committee, Gundlach refused to answer questions about his political affiliations.

Although the Canwell Committee could not fire Gundlach, his behavior at the hearings led to more problems. The eleven-member Faculty Committee on Tenure and Academic Freedom met between October and December 1948 to consider the cases of Gundlach and five other professors. Although it did not have final authority, this committee was charged with conducting an investigation and making a recommendation to U.W. President Raymond B. Allen and the Board of Regents. Gundlach had a lawyer at the hearings and continued his evasive behavior, arguing that because he had never been a member of the Communist party, the charges did not apply to him. At the hearings, members of the Communist party testified that Gundlach had been present at meetings with them and that they had assumed he was at least a Communist sympathizer. The committee concluded that membership in the Communist party did not warrant dismissal and recommended that two professors who admitted their Communism remain on the faculty; the committee came to a different conclusion regarding Gundlach. The faculty committee found no evidence to show that he was or was not a Communist, but they said they were dissatisfied with his “evasive” and “self-serving” testimony, and that he was surely a party “sympathizer.” The committee decided that the University should fire Gundlach because he had failed to answer President Allen’s questions directly, which showed a neglect of duty toward the University. Also, the committee expressed its displeasure with Gundlach’s “biased” research in social psychology. The committee did not recommend firing any of the other professors, even those who were currently members of the Communist party.

The Board of Regents was to decide the fate of Gundlach and the two party members, but first President Allen made his own recommendations. Allen advised the regents to follow the advice of the tenure committee and fire Gundlach, but he also recommended firing Herbert Phillips and Joseph Butterworth, the two professors who were active Communists. Allen agreed with the tenure committee that two professors who had renounced their Communist views, Garland Ethel and Harold Eby, should be allowed to continue teaching. Allen refused to pass judgment on Melvin Jacobs, who had renounced his former Communist membership but had once denied his previous involvement. In January 1949, the regents followed Allen’s advice and fired Gundlach, Butterworth, and Phillips, and placed Ethel, Eby, and Jacobs on two-year probation. Gundlach’s situation then worsened when he was convicted of contempt of a legislative committee for his uncooperativeness with the Canwell Committee. For this offense the court fined him $250 and sentenced him to thirty days in jail.

Gundlach made many attempts to clear his name and punish those who had ended his career at the University. After his firing in 1949, Gundlach brought suit against President Allen and several New York newspapers for articles in which Allen was quoted as saying that the three faculty members (which would include Gundlach) were dismissed for being members of the Communist party. Allen claimed he had been misquoted; the newspapers printed retractions; and Gundlach withdrew the suit. Gundlach sought a lawyer to file a tenure lawsuit against the U.W., but the attorneys Gundlach approached deemed the case to have insufficient legal grounds. Gundlach and a friend at Amherst College, Colston Warne, also lobbied the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) to conduct a speedy investigation of the U.W. dismissals, but nothing came of these efforts until seven years later. At that time the Association decided it was too late for censure.

Despite his unsuccessful efforts to litigate against the University, Gundlach continued to be a recognized leader in his field. Shortly after his firing from the University, he received scholarly endorsements from various professional organizations, including the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, the Consumers Union, and the American Psychological Association. The Association conducted a peer survey in 1954 which resulted in responses which tended to verify Gundlach’s objectivity and professionalism. He prospered as a private psychotherapist in New York City and worked as a consultant to the New York Medical College. Gundlach continued to publish extensively in psychology journals and, in his own words, continued working for “lost causes,” such as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg’s appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, for which Gundlach and other psychologists submitted a brief.

Gundlach retired to Great Britain in 1973 and died in London on August 15, 1978.


Berta Jean Richardson (Later Gundlach) was trained in Chicago and New York, and sang professionally in Kansas City, Missouri, before she and her husband Stuart moved to Wallace Idaho.  According to Ralph Gundlach’s sister Jean, their house was always filled with music and the family often singing together around the dinner table.  Stuart Gundlach “had a beautiful baritone voice: and was also trained in vocal technique, although he worked professionally as an attorney.   — John Cage: Music, Philosophy, and Intention, 1933-1950



1 thought on “Gundlach Richardson Price Line”

  1. Pingback: The Stebbins Ancestry – The Stebbins Family

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.